Thought of the Day 08.26.09

My middle son, Ethan, is so fascinating to me. Depending on the moment, he might either knock me down to get me to hold him or else throw a fit if I even try to touch him. He’s three.

So the other day in our van, I reached back to tickle his knee, as every good parent periodically does. But rather than rewarding me with a giggle or a pleased grin, he just looked away and sort of harrumphed at me. Nevertheless, I reminded myself that such tickling is always driven by more than just the selfish desire to have my affection reciprocated.

Although I enjoy simply expressing my love for him through touch, the most important reason to tickle or caress or hug or hold Ethan is because I want to continuously send him the message that I am glad he is my son and I love him deeply.

And even if that message doesn’t seem to be received on any one particular occasion, I think I’ll just do what God does for us: continue sending it every chance I get. Regardless of whether he wants it, it’s my job to know he needs this from his daddy.

No comments: