Thought of the Day 08.20.09

My wife wants me to be faithful to her, which means she desires my total loyalty.

Obviously, I’m supposed to forsake all other women, and not cheat on her with any of them. But loyalty also means actively supporting her, taking her side, working together with her, and treating her with respect and dignity. In other words, being faithful to my wife means much more than just not sleeping in the wrong bed. But it also means much more than just declaring my faithfulness to her, words which would be of no comfort to her if I don’t also do the things that show them to be true.


Similarly, our faithfulness toward God is much more than simply verbal pronouncements of our commitment to a relationship with Him. Although statements of faith are important, the real issue is whether our daily practice is faithful in the much more substantial sense which both God and our spouses desire from us. Simply put, a person who claims faith without then living faithfully is confused at best and lying at worst.

1 comment:

Steve said...

nice analogy my friend. you have consummately answered the question that has troubled many in recent decades. faith without works is dead? (shock) James anyone?

and alas, you do it so politely without sarcasm like me.

-catholicsteve in gilbert