Thought of the Day 08.24.09

Is it a sin to be angry at God?

As I was listening to an old show where we discussed this question, I figured something out. The reason we are angry at God is because we want so badly to love Him. So when He misbehaves (by doing or allowing things we dislike), He is impeding me loving Him as I want to. So I get angry at Him because His violation of my expectations thwarts my desire to love Him. “Why won’t He just make it easy for me to love Him?” And here we get our answer.

God refuses to be codependent. He demands not merely that we love Him, but that we love Him for Who He really is rather than merely loving what we want Him to be. So whenever I am angry at God, it’s always for two connected reasons. First, because He refuses to give me what I want. Second, because He refuses to be what I want.

God knows that we need to love Him in truth. And because He loves us enough to get us to that place, He refuses to let us see Him as something He isn’t.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Very wise. This is exactly what I felt when I was angry at God but wasn't sure how to explain those feelings. I learned a lot from that show and learned even more from this thought of the day. It is very difficult for me to see God as He is, but every day I learn more about Him and as a result about myself. Thank you Andrew for putting this in the proper perspective.