Thought of the Day 04.01.09

Why do people sin? Simple. People sin because they do not fully love God.

Therefore, sin is an extremely useful diagnostic tool for the human heart. And since a culture is the collective behavior of those hearts, we might say that cultural sin is the aggregate indicator of how little we love God.

But if our primary response to a sinful culture is to tell it to behave better, we’ve prescribed toward the symptom rather than the disease and, in the process, admitted we don’t really understand why people sin.

But far worse, by trying to spackle right conduct over the godless hearts of a declining culture, we seem to be saying that inhabiting a pleasant society in this life is more important to us than seeing those lost souls around us escape an eternity of separation from the God they do not yet love.

What does it profit the Church to gain the whole culture but lose all the souls?

3 comments:

Aaron Singleton said...

Well said!

Aaron Singleton said...

But it is so easy to make our faith a belief in morality as opposed to a devotion to the life giving hope that is Jesus Christ. It's a problem that I often struggle within my church life. Many times I do the morally right thing because I don't want my fellow parishioners to look down on me rather than because I feel a moral obligation to serve God first and foremost. I think that maybe I treat the Bible as a book that teaches how "not" to live rather than how to live. I don't know if that makes any sense . . . I think maybe what I mean is that when Jesus was asked what was the most important commandment he didn't use any of the "Thou shalt not," commandments but rather said, "Love the Lord your God and love your neighbor as yourself."

Aaron Singleton said...

Ok, final comment! I promise!

Maybe it's time we showed the culture how TO live by showing the benefits of a life in Christ rather than how NOT to live. Maybe we are already doing that and I don't see as clearly as I should.