Thought of the Day 03.05.09

In more expressive circles of Christianity, you will sometimes see a person worshipping God by lying face down on the floor. Assuming for the moment that this person’s behavior pleases God, you might respond to it in a variety of ways.

First, you might look at it and say, “No way. I’m never going to do something as ridiculous as that.” This is the sin of rebellion, an unwillingness to do what God likes.

Second, you might say, “Okay, if that’s what God wants, I’ll be sure to do it at least once in every service, perhaps at the same time just so that I don’t forget.” This is the sin of legalism, a belief that God can be pleased by simply following some rule or other.

Third, you might say, “Well, that’s interesting and beautiful. If God ever wants me to do that, I’m open to it. And if I never feel the need to do that, that’s alright, too.” This is called faith, a willingness to please God without succumbing to the temptation of thinking that you need to prove to Him or anyone else (including yourself) that you are doing so.

2 comments:

Aaron Singleton said...

You forgot the k in "thining." (I'm seriously sorry about having nothing better to say.)

Andrew Tallman said...

Thank you for noticing and taking the time to help me fix a mistake and my post look better. =)