Thought of the Day 05.15.08

It’s possible that I’m just not cut out to be a teacher. You see, even though I love to educate people, I have a problem. I hate to repeat myself. I know the old motto says that there’s only three keys to good teaching: repetition, repetition, and repetition. But I usually feel embarrassed by repeating myself because I tend to think it indicates that I don’t have anything else to say, so I’m just filling in the space with previous ideas. But this leads to a problem.

See, I generally assume that because I’ve said something, everyone else knows it. So the only things I usually bother to say are things that at least seem new to me. But I was recently reminded that, just because I’ve known something for years, that’s no reason to think that there aren’t millions of people who still don’t know it.

And if I really believe that it’s more important for people to learn than it is for me to impress myself, then I probably need to get over it and start repeating more often. After all, it’s more important for people to learn than it is for me to impress myself.

No comments: