Thought of the Day 05.06.08

When you think about God’s face, what do you picture? I don’t mean the particulars of whether He has a beard or a large nose or blue eyes or anything like that. I mean His expression. What does He say to you with His face? Perhaps you imagine Him scowling at your sin. Maybe you picture disappointment or frustration or even disgust, and there’s certainly reason to think God is often disgusted at us.

But when I think of God’s face, I usually imagine Him smiling, even laughing out loud at my antics. However, my favorite expression on God’s face is the one I often have on my own…when I’m looking at my boys. They might have broken every rule I have, but when I look into their eyes it reminds me of who they are rather than what they’ve done. And the joy they can see on my face at those times is still only a pale sketch of the vivid emotion in my soul.

This is the look on God’s face that I cherish imagining…a revelation of the joy He feels at our very existence.

No comments: