Thought of the Day 05.08.08

A listener recently emailed me a bunch of different ideas about theology, but it wasn’t dogmatic or arrogant. Rather, it was more like he was just thinking out loud and trying to connect a lot of dots together. I thought it was neat, and told him so. He said he was glad I didn’t think he was nutty. I assured him that, quite the opposite, I really enjoy this sort of thing.

Some of the most productive ideas come in the demeanor of "I'm thinking about this, but I'm not sure I have it all sewn together properly." Such purposeful playfulness is a very healthy thing, mentally. Just compare the confidence of someone who is willing to put forth half-formed ideas and discuss them with the insecurity of someone who only speaks when he’s got a polished gem to give. It’s the imperfect sharing with peers that usually polishes…and also reveals which ideas aren’t gems at all.

Thinking is like any other endeavor: when you’re more scared of making mistakes and being booed than you are excited at having fun doing it, the process is a labor not a joy. And the result will not be superior.

No comments: