Thought of the Day 05.09.08

I used to drive a 1992 Honda Accord with 300,000 miles on it, and toward the end I had sort of let the car go because I knew we were getting rid of it. Knowing this and also having experienced breakdowns before, I always drove it with a little bit of anxiety, never knowing when it might malfunction suddenly.

Then I bought a much newer Honda, and it works…all the time…just as a car should. Yet, even though I rationally know the new car is great, I still have these lingering doubts from the habit of uncertainty I lived with for so long before. I suppose it’s a lot like what happens when someone is used to waking up every morning never knowing when he might suddenly fall from grace because he has to perform himself into acceptance by God.

Then one day, he realizes that he is accepted because of the sacrifice of Christ and just wakes up feeling secure. Though the anxiety of former legalism may still resurface, the constant reassurance of a car that works properly should quickly dispel it.

No comments: