TOD 04.01.08

My son is a lot like his father, which is certainly a mixed blessing. For instance, both Spencer and I are prone to resistance when someone orders us to do something, even though we’d probably do it gladly if we had merely been asked instead. Unfortunately, I recently realized that I’ve gotten in the bad habit of ordering him to do everything, especially small, even trivial things.

So a couple of times last week I deliberately made him aware of something that I wanted him to do, but I emphasized that he didn’t have to do it and that no punishment would follow if he didn’t. The results were interesting. So far, and I admit it’s only been a handful of times, he’s done it every single time, quickly and without resistance.

Now obviously this can’t be the only way I instruct him, but, now that I’m more aware of it, I really like the idea of giving him the chance to practice pleasing his father freely out of love rather than merely obeying his father out of compulsion. Perhaps I’m not the first father to figure this out.

No comments: