TOD 03.14.08

No exaggeration, this is the conversation I happened to walk up behind last week while on vacation, and, I kid you not, it was all going on in a southern accent.

Woman 1: “I’ve been reading on the Internet an email about the ten similarities between Barack Obama and the antichrist.”
Man 1: “Well you know he comes from the same part of the country that the Bible teaches that the antichrist would come from.”
Man 2: “I always knew the antichrist would be a democrat. That’s why they call ‘em demon-crats, ain’t it?”

I wish I could tell you that I made the perfect comment, but I was so flabbergasted that I couldn’t even think straight enough to find the right words. I guess in the end I was just glad that I had been the only one to overhear this absurdity, and not someone just considering Christianity or a political liberal. The embarrassing thing, of course, is to imagine how many things that have come out of my own mouth over the years have made Jesus react to me as I reacted to them.

There’s a reason the Bible says to not seek to become a teacher.

No comments: