TOD 03.25.08

As I was reflecting upon the Easter story this weekend, a few things stood out to me. For starters, the resurrection preceded its discovery. A simple fact, I know, but this means that there was some period of time during which the resurrection was true, yet none of the disciples knew or believed it. Later, of course, as the story started to be circulated, even some of Jesus’s closest companions didn’t believe it the first time they were told.

We sometimes pick on Thomas for wanting to touch the wounds of Christ, but most of the disciples didn’t believe until they saw Him with their eyes. Others needed to be told a few times before it became credible to them. See, here’s the thing. I didn’t believe in the resurrection the first time I heard it. In fact, I didn’t believe in it after hearing it so many times that it doesn’t matter what the number was. And then later I did believe.

And sometimes I think we hold it against ourselves that we resisted God, but in those moments it’s useful to remember that even those who walked daily with Him weren’t immediately convinced. The important thing is that we and they eventually were.

No comments: