TOD 10.19.07

“Whoever shouts the loudest wins.” We could easily forgive an alien from outer space for thinking this is our cultural criterion for victory. So, is it true? No. And, sadly, many Christians don’t comprehend this. It’s a very human impulse to think that bluster is strength. My martial arts teacher even had a name for it: the big fish, little fish technique. If you can demonstrate bigness, your enemy will run away.

But in the realm of ideas, the reality is that dogma and arrogance usually indicate weakness, not strength. Beneath every shouted certainty lies the desperation of hoping that volume can hide lack of substance. In contrast, when you have real confidence in your beliefs, you can afford to be humble and calm in the face of a verbal storm.

And given that God was not in the wind nor the earthquake nor the fire, but in the quiet whisper, this is a lesson which we Christians would do well to recall and embody.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How true this is. And without preparation and a cogent argument in support of my beliefs, volume is most of what I am left with. The primary reason that I have remained a listener, especially on Wacky Wednesdays, is the opportunity you afford to hone my appologetic and argument skills-- big parts of which are preparation skills. I call in once in a while, but because I listen in the car and can't get the station at home, I don't have the opportunity to jot down my points and prepare for a coherent discussion of the topic. The topic itself matters little. I never took Logic in college (my husband must have) and the chance to develop this craft is wonderful, and useful in every aspect of my life.