TOD 10.02.07

Ability produces success. Success leads to pride. Pride causes arrogance. Arrogance encourages judgment. And judgment is a form of hatred, hatred for those who were not blessed with my ability. Thus, the very gift of God to me can become my way of despising those who were not given my gifts.

Blessings produce prosperity. Prosperity cultivates the hope of continued good fortune. Hope encourages expectation. Expectation grows into a sense of entitlement. And a sense of entitlement leads to being ungrateful for anything less than constant increase rather than being grateful for ever having had more. Thus, the abundant blessings of God giving me more than I deserve can cause me to not even enjoy the good which I’ve received.

Instead of thinking God has failed us when He doesn’t give us something we want, perhaps we might consider the possibility that He loves us too much to let us become what we would if He had.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Andrew,

After following your string of conditional propositions, it's pretty evident that your purpose was to be provocative. I'm really surprised you haven't gotten any bites—I could pave my driveway with the unspoken assumptions necessary to make each chain work.

The "...judgment is a form of hatred..." statement was REALLY out there. I'd love to see the list of assumptions behind that one... And still no bites!

It's actually kind of fun taking such liberty. Here's my own version of the first chain:
"Ability produces frustration. Frustration leads to humility. Humility causes shyness. Shyness encourages isolation. And isolation is a form of protection, protection for those who were not blessed with my ability. Thus, the very gift of God to me can become my way of standing up for those who were not given my gifts."

Good Show BTW.
God Bless

Andrew Tallman said...

Yes, precisely. And, as you rightly point out, the key is to keep the chain proceeding along the useful/edifying path rather than the other. Well done, Dale.