TOD 10.18.07

“I guess we’ll just have to agree to disagree.” We’ve all heard this hundreds of times. But I’ve got to be honest. I have no idea what it means.

Does it mean that I am obsessed with finding common ground? “Please, I can’t stand any contrast in my life.” Does it mean that I know I’m losing this particular argument and am looking to retreat while making it look like I am taking the high ground? “Please don’t vanquish me. I have trouble believing I might be wrong about anything.” Is it code-speak for, “I just don’t want to talk about this anymore?” Then why not say that? Does it indicate prepositional confusion, meaning to actually say, “I guess we’ll just have to agree that we disagree?” “And, hey, look at the sky. It’s blue.”

Since I am apparently so overwhelmed with uncertainty about what this phrase means, I’m prepared to offer an alternative: “We currently disagree, but let’s agree that we should try to come to agreement in the future.” To me, that seems pretty clear…and Biblical.

1 comment:

Stan said...

I don't like the phrase. I've never used it. I do, however, understand the sentiment. "I've been explaining and reasoning and expounding with you for an apparent eternity and it is clear that you will not budge. On the other hand, I've heard and examined all your counter-arguments and I can't see how I will budge. I don't know that there is anything more to say on the subject. Before we simply settle this with physical blows, let's just stop trying, okay? I don't see any hope of an agreeable outcome."

There are too many things I believe with too many reasons to believe them and too many people in my life that disagree to think that I will ever conceive that "come to an agreement in the future" is a possibility.

So ... let's agree to set aside any negative feelings toward each other and just keep talking ... you know ... until you come around to realize that I'm right ... ;)