Is ethics a blessing?

Some people view ethics as a set of restrictions or burdens. Others see it as a source of blessings. The latter group sometimes speak of the value of an orderly society, the cultivation of personal character, or even pleasing God. But one thing you don’t normally hear people mention is the benefit ethics gives us in making decisions.

For instance, if I’m in a store and I desire a DVD, stealing it would mean getting it for the lowest possible price. But ethics tells me I can’t do that. When I’m out somewhere and a beautiful woman asks me to get a drink with her, I might be very interested. But ethics tells me I have a wife already. And if I’m trying to decide whether to take my car to the mechanic today or tomorrow since I’m running late already, ethics reminds me that I told them I was bringing it today.

The funny thing about not living by ethics is that life is much more complicated, being so full of open or uncertain scenarios. One blessing of ethics, then, is that so many situations are already solved properly for us.

No comments: