TOD 04.10.08

Imagine that you’re a child who goes over to a friend’s house to play. When you arrive, his mother asks if you want something to eat, and you say, “No, thank you.” But, oddly, the next thing she asks is how much meatloaf you want on your plate. You’re puzzled, but you reply, “Thank you, ma’am, but I’m not hungry right now.”

She assures you that it’s very good and tells you to try some. You reply, “I’m sure it is delicious, perhaps I could have some later. I’m still full from my mom’s lunch.” Suddenly she turns on you and says, “Listen, you ungrateful little boy, you can either eat every last bit of this outstanding food or you can get out of my house right now.” A bit frightened, you politely say, “I think my mom needs me back home anyhow. Bye.”

How likely is it that you would ever go back to that mother’s house? Is it because her food isn’t good? Not at all. The problem wasn’t with the food. See, it’s just not enough to have something great to offer. When and how you offer it to people matters a lot as well.

No comments: