TOD 04.04.08

My good friend Dwayne Hoskins just went home after staying with us for a week, and it was such a blessing to have him around. We ate. We golfed. We talked. We ate. We drank coffee. We did the radio show together. Did I mention that we ate? But what I most valued about having him around was seeing him interact with my children, especially when they weren’t being little angels.

Because Dwayne’s parents had four of their own, adopted eight, and had over 80 foster kids, he really knows a lot about interacting with children. Now, obviously I learned from his example, but I noticed something else as well. Having him around made me try harder with my kids. I wanted to impress him, and the presence of a coach made me feel that much more accountable.

This wasn’t an oppressive thing. It was a blessing because I know how much he loves me and wants me to succeed. Now I just need to remind myself that an even wiser expert is always with me…one who loves me even more than my closest friends do.

No comments: