TOD 04.08.08

Part of my contract as a talk show host requires that I give my employer a percentage of any money I make from my position, such as speaking fees. I must admit that I despise this fact. It always feels a little like they’re stealing from me. Nonetheless, every time I’m paid for a speech, I give my boss a check for the correct portion, and he is always slightly surprised by it.

See, I’m the only one who knows that I got paid and how much it was, and it would be the easiest thing in the world to just keep it all; all the more tempting because I loathe the requirement. But I don’t. Why not? Because I signed a contract. So, in reality it would be stealing for me to keep them money, and the lack of oversight doesn’t change this fact. Although giving it over makes me unhappy, honoring my obligation to do so makes me proud.

Yes, the money matters more to me than it does to the company, but my word and my character matter far more to me than the money. And with the proximity of tax day next week, I hope I’m not the only one who sees things this way.

No comments: