TOD 02.19.08

When I look around at this world, I see endless problems, and, like all Americans, I seem to have a pathological impulse to fix every one. But I force myself to stop and ask some questions before I do anything.

First, who is most directly responsible for causing this problem, and can this person solve it himself? If so, then I’m done. Second, who most directly suffers from this problem, and is there anything this person can do about it? If so, then, again, I’m done. Third, if the source won’t or can’t change and the victim won’t or can’t make him, now and only now do I ask whether the rest of us can do anything about it.

I remind myself that knowing when to do nothing at all is the most vital part of being wise about solving problems, because it’s always possible we may not find any solution that doesn’t cause even greater harm than it relieves. After all, if God allows a world of evil, it’s at least possible that I may not be able to improve upon His choice.

No comments: