TOD 02.15.08

Paul’s letters to Timothy and Titus have been bothering me recently because, in them, the apostle says that people who like to discuss controversial matters are dangerous to church harmony. Since this is basically what I get paid to do, I began to worry that the Bible was telling me I couldn’t be a talk show host, much like I’m not allowed to be a psychic or a stripper.

But then I noticed that Paul’s real concern was the division and strife such talk can cause, and that’s why I haven’t resigned yet…because, far from producing those results, I believe we discuss these matters in such a way that we relieve the already-existing tensions over doctrine and morality. See, Paul was worried about immature people hating each other over such stuff, whereas my goal is that people mature so they can love one another in spite of and even because of their disagreements.

My hope is that by doing the opposite of what Paul says, I am actually accomplishing the objective he had in mind. I can’t be sure, of course, but I would certainly like to believe that Paul would have been a fan of the Andrew Tallman Show.

No comments: