Second chance musings.

I was recently watching an episode of “Minute To Win It” (a game-show based on contestants performing various physical challenges in under a minute to win progressively money) in which they did something tremendously unusual: they let a man who had previously played and left with nothing come back and try again. Devastated by his former failure, he was beaming with gratitude and anticipation at the opportunity to redeem himself before his wife and two daughters. It was virtually a Gospel moment filled with mercy and the joy of a failure offered another life.

And I sat there furious!

How dare they give this loser yet another chance, when millions of other people would metaphorically kill for the opportunity! He’s handsome, his wife is beautiful, and he has a wonderful family. And you decide to give HIM a second go? I was so beside myself with the injustice of it all that I could barely enjoy the episode. I almost wanted to see him fail just so the scales would be back where they should be after this gross error in judgment. Alas, he succeeded and everyone was thrilled. Everyone except me.

See, my house has Pharisees, too.

No comments: