One theory doesn't fit all.

One of the least challenged Christian tropes is that atheists reject faith not because of whatever intellectual arguments they give, but because they’re unwilling to give up their immoral lifestyles. Although this may be true for some, it is certainly not true for all.

See, I was raised by Methodist parents with liberal social values. My mother allowed me at the age of 16 to subscribe to Playboy and never objected to having a girlfriend stay the night. Accepting her Christianity would have only meant to keep doing what she had always taught me: be a good citizen, treat people fairly, be honest, and be kind. The idea that I would have had to embrace traditional morality along with belief in God never even occurred to me when I was an atheist. Yet I rejected Him nevertheless.

My only motives were rational based on the claims making no sense to me and every time I pressed for better answers on matters that bewildered my logical mind, the only answer I’d get was, “Well, you just have to have faith.” But to me this sounded remarkably similar to, “Well, you just have to be stupid.”

The reason I explain this is so that Christians who, like all humans, are inclined to accept simple catch-all explanations for things we don’t like will at least realize immorality isn’t the only motivational paradigm for atheism, an error which also encourages us to ignore the fact that many atheists have quite high levels of ordinary virtue.

No comments: