The problem isn't really the problem.

Because I already own an abundant supply of books, I most often go to the library to browse DVDs. Whenever I do this, the available titles are almost entirely things that came out two or more months ago. In other words, not new releases. That’s why, whenever I go and happen to see one, or even two, actual new releases on the shelf, I get a little giddy thrill out of the unanticipated find.

On the other hand, something very different happens whenever I go to Blockbuster, where I get most of my newest movies. Since I review DVDs on my show, the station pays for this, so these movies are also free as far as I’m concerned. But if I’m looking for one particular movie, it’s terribly annoying if there aren’t any copies available, even though the store is stocked with hundreds of copies of movies I would be thrilled to find at the library.

The only difference is that I have such different expectations and, therefore, such different preparation for either joy or disappointment. I wonder whether this has any bearing on why some people are grateful and others, even with more, are petulant.

No comments: