Just doing my job.

Children are fickle. Any parent knows this. It’s one of the great challenges of trying to satisfy them that what they loved yesterday may make them turn up their noses today. To make matters worse, they might change their mind about something over the course of weeks, days, or just minutes.

The other morning, I was getting ready to cook breakfast, and I was planning to make omelets. So, I asked Spencer and Ethan whether they wanted any. Spencer eagerly said yes, but Ethan said no. When I asked him what he did want, he didn’t give me any answer. Ignoring what he’d told me, I proceeded to make enough for all three of us anyway.

After I brought out Spencer’s and mine, a few minutes went by before Ethan turned to me and said, “I want some omelet, too.” So I got up and brought the plate with his over to him. “How did you know I’d change my mind?” he asked with a smile. “It’s my job to know you better than you know yourself,” I told him. “It’s what any good father does, and I learned from the Best.”

No comments: