The wonder of wonder.

When I look around this world, I am regularly amazed. I stand in wonder at sunsets, stars, mountains, trees, birds, fireflies, and thousands of other features of our universe, in addition to being amazed by humanity, language, love, and art. And of course, such thoughts always lead me to an amazed wonder at the God who gave it all to me. But doesn’t it seem a bit wonderful that we have wonder at all?

I mean, if the naturalists are right, then I am very well-tailored to this world. That’s why my species survived. But well-tailored is what we call clothes that fit just right. You never notice them, just like fish never notice water and ants don’t marvel at dirt. Besides, how would such a capacity help them survive? If anything, wonder slows us down and makes us vulnerable.


On the other hand, if God made me to love Him and be amazed by Him, the fact that I find Him and His creation wonderful seems perfectly expected. In a world without Him, it’s hard to imagine why a being like me who wonders about wonder would ever even exist.

No comments: