What's your consolation?

The term “consolation prize” was coined to describe something we give to a person who loses a contest as a way of consoling him in his sadness at failure. It may seem a bit silly, but everyone practices consoling, especially ourselves.

For instance, imagine a man who is worried about losing his job. Perhaps he consoles himself by saying, “Well at least I have a great wife.” But what about the unemployed who are divorced or single not by choice?

Perhaps he consoles himself by saying, “Well at least I’m in good financial shape otherwise.” But what about those who are in debt?

Perhaps he consoles himself by saying, “Well at least I have my children.” But what about those whose children have been lost, are angry at him, or were simply never born in the first place?

Perhaps he consoles himself by saying, “Well at least I have my health.” But what about those who are ill?

Perhaps he consoles himself by saying, “Well at least I have Jesus.”


When we get to the end of everything else we think is valuable, we eventually come to the consolation prize of knowing Christ. And when we do, we discover that what we thought was the littlest of consolations turns out to be the greatest prize of all. And, if the Bible is correct, one which we never need worry will be taken from us.

No comments: