What does love look like?

I love Albert Pujols, the superstar first baseman for the St. Louis Cardinals. Of course, I'm not alone in my view of him. The only serious dispute about him among sports fans is whether he’s the greatest player to ever play the game or just one of the greatest. Time is expected to settle the argument.

What does it mean that I love him? Well, for starters, I love telling other people about him, and I especially relish being able to say he's on my team. When he is playing, I want him to do well, and it's thrilling every time he does something great. I own several Cardinals jerseys, but the one with a 5 on the back is my favorite to wear to games.

If I were to play baseball, I would sincerely try to emulate him. I would work as diligently as I could off the field, practicing harder than anyone else. I would study the game obsessively as he does. I would probably even try to stand as he stands at the plate. Above all else, I would cherish any opportunity to speak with him and learn from his baseball wisdom. In short, if I were actually engaged in baseball playing, I would hope that my admiration of him would shout louder than my vocal praise. And even when I'm only engaged in baseball watching, I hope my love for him is obvious to even a casual contact.

I would say that all these things together show that I love Albert Pujols with some of my heart, some of my mind, some of my soul, and some of my strength. I wonder, then, what loving Someone with all of them might look like.

No comments: