Of rips and repairs.

At the exact moment of Jesus’s death, the New Testament records that the veil of the Temple was split from top to bottom. Most commentators interpret this to mean that God had now made it possible for anyone to have direct access to Him through His Son rather than needing a priest.

What I wonder is how the Temple leaders would have reacted to this big rip. History doesn’t tell us, which isn’t surprising since few non-Biblical historical sources have survived, but if it happened as our Scriptures teach, it would certainly have been an issue. Most likely, I expect they would have been very surprised and then set about repairing it without asking too many questions.

After all, the implications for their lives, jobs, and entire religious system would have been devastating. And even if some of them had been mildly concerned, there weren’t any other obvious problems. The Temple itself stood and functioned for another three and a half decades. So as they repaired the divider, I suppose their attitude was simply, “Pay no attention to the man who ripped the curtain.”


But it does make me wonder how many times in my own life God has ripped open a problem and told me to do things a new way but I’ve just quietly tried to sew my old habits back together, hoping no one would notice the giant gaping discrepancy.

2 comments:

Steve said...

Hmm... I've never heard that theory of intrepretation to the meaning of the torn temple curtain. I understood it as it being a "garment" in the house of the Lord. And it was customary to rend/rip/tear one's cloak when you were steaming mad/offended/sorrowful. so this would be a display of the father's obvious sorrow at the death of his Son.

Andrew Tallman said...

We're in the same boat. I had never heard your offered explanation until just now, although I've heard loads of people offer the other one. Interesting. Taking your idea as a premise, it becomes again amazing that someone would just "stitch up" such a meaningful and potent rip. Thanks for exposing me to something new! =)