Absurd generosity?

Imagine, if you will, a wealthy American businessman who takes a vacation trip to Mexico. While he’s there, he becomes friends with a local who tells him how difficult his life in Mexico is and how deeply he wants to live in America. The businessman, moved by this man’s situation makes him a radical offer.

“The guys at the border checkpoint know me, so here’s what I want you to do. I want you to put on my clothes, take my car, take my money, and take my passport. I’m going to go over to the embassy and work out all the details, but I’m going to give up my citizenship and let you have it instead of me and I’ll write you a letter to carry with you to this effect. Now you can go live your life in America, and I’ll just stay here in your place.”

Considering the riches and lifestyle that Jesus gave up in coming from heaven to Earth to get us, it seems at lease plausible that this man is a Christian who really grasps the Gospel, right? But that raises a much more challenging question for us: What would a fully Christian immigration policy look like?

No comments: