Thought of the Day 12.16.09

I despise the mobility of modern society because it robs me of my favorite thing in this world: my friends. What happens is I meet and grow close to someone because of a structural coincidence like sharing a job or a cul-de-sac or a common project. But inevitably one of us changes jobs or homes or endeavors and I lose them.

Oh, sure, we try to maintain contact, but the truth is that my acquaintances at work are more a part of my life than my best friends simply because we see each other every day. Just last year, I met one of my dear friends when he rented the house next to mine. But then he bought a house 15 minutes away, and now I rarely see him.


Can I Facebook him? Email him? Call him on the phone? Of course. Is it the same? Only a fool would claim it is. But there is a consolation prize. See, I know that when eternity comes, I will not only continuously be meeting the most interesting friends I’ve ever known, but nothing as silly as a new job or suburban community design will ever separate us thereafter.

No comments: