Thought of the Day 06.24.08

Over the weekend, I was at a relative’s house when she remarked humorously about my attire. I had arrived in a white Cardinals’ jersey, but because we were eating lunch with my boys, I had switched to a red Cardinals’ t-shirt. “We’re playing the Red Sox today,” I explained with impatience. She sensed that further probing was unwelcome, but it got me thinking about why I do this.

I guess it’s my way of expressing solidarity with my team. It’s what any real fan does. Imagine if someone told you that he was a big Cubs fan, but he never wore Cubs attire. What if he never listened to the games? What if he didn’t even make time to watch them or go to them live? What if he didn’t know the starting roster or where his team stood against the others? And what if he didn’t really seem to care whether his team won or lost. At some point, you’d say he wasn’t really a Cubs fan at all.

Being a fan means being invested, knowing some things, and participating regularly. So the only question for us is whether there are enough indicators that we are truly fans of Christ or not.

No comments: