TOD 11.21.07

Although we never left our first-born, Spencer, with anyone else until he was over two, we’ve relaxed a bit with Ethan and allowed him to go into the nursery at our church most Sundays since he’s been one. However, this decision always depends upon whom is there that day. If we don’t know or don’t fully trust someone’s ability, we either stay in there with him or keep him with us. He’s our son, after all.

Usually he doesn’t complain about being left, or at least not much, but last Sunday was different. As soon as I gave him to one of the volunteers, one he knows well, he started screaming and reaching for me. So I took him back with me into the service and held him on my lap during the sermon, and he was fine.

See, my theory is simple: if my son wants me, my son gets me. At his age (19 months) there is no such thing as too much security or too much dependency, and if I give him what he needs from me now, he’s less likely to believe he doesn’t need anything from me later in his life…when it really matters. The currency of influence is purchased with the coin of met needs.

No comments: