Thought of the Day 06.10.08

Gratitude and contempt are funny attitudes because they are so infinitely adjustable. For instance, one day last week when I was fasting, a friend came into my office offering me some leftover pizza from his lunch at a nice restaurant. I thanked him and sat there lusting after it briefly before I moved it to a place of safety in the office refrigerator. I would have gladly eaten every last bit of it, but I was fasting.

I brought it home, brought it back to work, home again, and again back to work before finally eating it today. It was delicious, but it didn’t entice me as much when I could choose from any food I desired. So did anything about the pizza change to earn such varied responses from me? Not at all. Only the strength of my desires changed.

And it is certainly useful to be reminded that my life is so luxurious that I can be so fully satisfied with my options as to hold delicious gourmet pizza in contempt. Truly, thank you, Lord, for your bounty. Please help me remain grateful for it all.

No comments: