Which do you hope is true?

As you may know by now, Representative Anthony Weiner gave a sweeping admission of his guilt and apologized for the misuse of Twitter and several inappropriate Internet relationships yesterday. When I talked about this last week, I said he was probably innocent (although I couldn’t be sure), and I also said it was particularly wrong to presume him guilty as the media had done. This means I was mistaken in my judgment about him.

But I must be honest. I’m proud of my mistake.

Oh, sure, in some sense I’d prefer to have been more savvy at discerning the matter. But when I didn’t know the truth for sure, I chose to give him the benefit of the doubt and hope for his innocence. And isn’t this exactly what Christians are supposed to do, especially for those with whom we disagree politically or culturally? And isn’t it a bit disturbing that so many of his critics seem so gleeful to have had their pessimism validated?

See, for my part, if I ever meet Anthony Weiner, I like that I could tell him that I believed him and hoped it wasn’t true. How much more likely is it that we might become friends that way?

No comments: