The joy of talent scouts

One of my friends is far more into baseball even than I am. And one of his favorite things to do is watch college players and follow them as they progress through the draft and the minor leagues into the big show. The thrill of having found and monitored them when they finally make it is great fun for him, even though he really had nothing to do with it.

Although I don’t do this with baseball players, I do sort of do it with television actors whom I feel are underrated and deserve “bigger” careers. Since a lot of the shows I love get cancelled, I particularly enjoy seeing those actors show up elsewhere, especially in totally different parts. I always feel like maybe someday someone will really give them an opportunity to match their talents. And if they do, it feels as if “Team Tallman’s Picks” scored a victory in some imaginary “Fantasy Actors League.”

If this sort of speculative investing is so much fun for my friend and me, how much more of an interest must God take in the human careers of that unsung team of minor leaguers whom He not only loves but actually drafted and equipped?

PS—If you’re interested, my list includes Garret Dillahunt (Life, Terminator, and now Raising Hope), Amber Tamblyn (Joan of Arcadia and now House), Damian Lewis (Life), Adam Arkin (Life and now Chicago Code), Jonathan Slavin (Better Off Ted), Loretta Devine (Boston Public, Eli Stone, and Dexter), and Jonny Lee Miller (Eli Stone and Dexter).

No comments: