Fathers, don't exasperate your sons.

Last week I had a chance to go to the Suns game with my uncle, and part of my decision was whether to offer to take my oldest son, Spencer, as well. See, I knew he would love to go, but I also knew this would really upset my middle son, Ethan. In consultation with my wife, we decided it would be acceptable, but of course I still had to break the news to Ethan.

So I sat him down and explained that Spencer was going to the game, but he would be staying home with mommy.

“But I really want to go with you, Daddy.”

“I know. But the thing is, you’d be miserable there. Whenever we go to baseball games, you hate it because there’s nothing for you to do. And if you’re miserable, you’ll complain and make us miserable, too. I don’t want that for you or us, so you’re going to stay home. When you’re older, maybe we’ll take you.”

“But I promise to sit still and be happy.”

“Oh, sweetie, I know you want to believe that, but it’s just not true. And it would be unloving of me to put you in the position of trying to keep that promise when you aren’t really able to do so.”

No comments: