Thought of the Day 05.25.10

I personally have no opinion on whether wearing a hat is a proper or improper part of spending time with God.

However, years ago I discovered that my father strongly feels that wearing a hat when praying or worshipping is inappropriate. Therefore, as a way of honoring him, I began to do these things with my head uncovered. I did this for so many years that it became ingrained in me as a habit and seemed natural, if not necessary.

But in Israel, I discovered Jews do it exactly the opposite. At holy sites, male visitors are required to wear a head covering. If you don’t have something, they’ll loan you a yamika. Since I wanted to pray in some of these places, I found myself having to pray with my hat on. At first this bothered me, but after a little while, I adjusted.


So which is right? Well, as I said, there’s no necessity either way. But it’s useful to see how such neutral cultural habits develop moral momentum from repetition, and how short a trip it is from there to inappropriate judgment of others who simply don’t happen to follow those same practices.

No comments: