Thought of the Day 05.04.10

This past Saturday, after Spencer’s soccer game, we noticed some people on the other side of the lake using remote control boats and decided to go join them since we already had his with us. Dani indicated that she wanted to walk the quarter mile or so around the lake to where they were, so I asked whether she wanted me to walk with her or drive around and meet them. (I know my sons, and I thought Ethan would likely complain on the way back.) She said for us all to walk together, so I joined them.

Well, sure enough, on the walk back, Ethan started moaning about how far it was, asking me, “Why did you make us walk so far?” I was very tempted to say, “Don’t ask me, it was your fool of a mother who made this choice.” Notice I said “tempted to say.” What I actually told him was, “Stop complaining. It’s good for you, and we’re almost there anyhow,” basically telling him what she would have said.

See, when you’re married you have a choice. You can either keep things separate, such as decisions, or you can truly become one. In my house it’s simple. Whether I disagreed with her beforehand, my wife’s decisions are mine afterward, as if I had made them myself. That’s just what it means to become one flesh.

No comments: