Thought of the Day 03.15.10

I didn’t really know what to expect at Spencer’s first soccer game for 5-8 year-olds, and it turned out to be pretty much that. But one thing about the game really bothered me. See, our coach had taught the kids to play positions as required by the rules, but the other coach had not. And the referee, at perhaps age 10, wasn’t into enforcement, which I completely understand. They are there to have fun, and the games count for nothing at all.

But as the swarm of five opponents followed the ball everywhere it went, I kept being bothered by it. Not because of scoring or fairness, but just on principle. I remember having the same issue when I coached kickball because some (but not all) teams were stunned to discover that the rest of us actually played the game with outs.


I guess I just figure that they aren’t there to merely have fun and get exercise, but to learn some skills and what it means to play by rules, which is made harder when the adults don’t expect this of all the kids equally. Then again, when some do and some don’t, it’s a different sort of opportunity: to practice doing what’s right even if not everyone does.

No comments: