Thought of the Day 05.12.09

I had the unique privilege of preaching the Mother’s Day sermon at my church, an experience I found refreshing and instructive. See, when you do radio, you have to imagine how people are reacting, but in person, you get to see for yourself.

At most points, people reacted as expected, which was good. At some points, they reacted more enthusiastically, which was even better. And at other points, the reaction was notable mostly for its absence, which was less pleasant to see, but normal.

Afterward, lots of people wanted to tell me how much they appreciated it, although, as my wife wisely pointed out, it’s unlikely that someone who really dislikes your guest sermon is going to tell you the fact.

But one thing I know for sure. Despite delivering a fairly engaging message, I also saw firsthand that, by the end, several audience members were either asleep or well on their way.

So what did I relearn? That different people react differently to the very same thing.

No comments: