Thought of the Day 05.06.09

“Practice makes perfect.” Or, if not perfect, at least practice makes better, right? If this is true, what does it mean for parenting?

Simply put, it would seem that if I have five or six children, I will develop better parenting skills than if I stop at just three. How could I not? Parenting that many children will give me both much more practice and also practice in far more complicated situations. But what if I stop now?

Well, my parenting skills would remain underdeveloped. This means my children will suffer the effects of being raised by a lesser-skilled father. My subsequent children, the ones who would have benefitted the most from being raised by that better me, would never come to exist at all, thus depriving society of those better citizens. And my three sons will miss out on the example of better parenting, meaning they will be less equipped to be great fathers when their own time comes.

Since I don’t want any of that, I intend to have more than just three children.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Are you trying to tell me another baby is on the way?