Thought of the Day 04.27.09

Checking out at the grocery store the other day, my father and I ran into a problem. I was trying to use a rain check on some ground beef, which was apparently not so easy to do. Even without anyone behind us, the cashier began getting very frustrated about his inability to get the register to process it properly.

As he grew more agitated, I smiled and looked calm, my dad offered a sympathetic joke, and we both offered suggestions to help. But it’s only days later that I realized how badly I missed an opportunity to apply Christ to this man’s life.

I should have said something like, “You know, Jesus got frustrated by things a lot, too. And whenever I feel stressed, it comforts me that Jesus knows what I’m going through and cares about my troubles. And whenever I remember that, whatever is bothering me seems a little less important somehow.”

Would it have worked? Only God knows. But the next time I have the opportunity to comfort someone, I intend to let Jesus be the one to do so.

5 comments:

Jason Arant said...

Great point! Too many opportunities slip through our fingers! Perhaps we are too conditioned to disarm with humor and not conditioned enough to share the hope that is within us.

Andrew Tallman said...

Exactly what I was getting at. Thanks for saying it in such a useful way. =)

Lisa said...

I am the same way Andrew, I always think about what I could have said after the missed opportunity.

Andrew Tallman said...

Which is okay. Only because it's by practicing how to properly handle a situation you flub or miss that you're better equipped to handle something similar the next time. I can't tell you how many of the things I've figured out came from the realization that I missed opportunities. This can be very discouraging, but it's the only way I know to get better. =)

Nick said...

I loved your show today. I was driving to work and was not able to hear the entire show. I did hear you say that it was a new thing you were doing on Mondays. I'll be sure to be listining next Monday.