Thought of the Day 01.26.09

The Bible has a lot to say about money, and the main ideas are basically “don’t let money control you” and “demonstrate this by helping the poor.” But money has a deceptive way of controlling us most at the very moment we think it controls us least.

For instance, there are some people who buy themselves very nice things, for which others judge them to be materialistic. And perhaps they are. But consider what happens when you’re extremely thrifty, as I try to be.

I can expend so much effort hunting for the perfect bargain on something that once I’ve got it I can be even more fearful of losing it than the big spender. I’ve invested so much intangible value in finding it that it may appear irreplaceable to me. Thus, being thrifty can produce its own sort of unbiblical materialism if we aren’t careful.

.
Spending money less freely can start to liberate some people. And spending money more freely can start to liberate others. Let’s just also be sure we help the poor.

2 comments:

Honey said...

Mr. Tallman,
I heard a part of your show on "Thursday" (I know this is off your current topic-sorry) regarding a Bishop's prayer for President Obama. It was interesting to hear your opinion that the prayer was Christian; however, I wonder what Scripture would you use to support your opinion? When I look at Matthew 6:9-13 I do not see anything remotely close to what the Bishop prayed, nor in the Psalms (take your pick) or from Daniel 9:4-19 or Nehemiah 9:5-38.

This man's prayer came from someone who may have read or perhaps studied the Bible some time ago but no longer wishes to open the Bible and now teaches a God of his own imagination.

Even though you are not a teacher (on the radio) Mr. Tallman you do have a large influence since you hold a mike. I am sure there are some people that do not spend much time in the Word but listen to your program and take what you say as the Gospel. This man's prayer is far from anything Christian and for you to say otherwise is far from the truth. I would hope you would let your listeners know that while you hold this opinion there is nothing in all of Scripture that would support it. Perhaps this is a new Wacky Thursday and I just missed that part of the show, if that was the case kudos...

In Christ Alone...
-Scott

Anonymous said...

To "Mr Tallman" From: a former "Parkland college student"
I thought about you yesterday as I was going through some old notebooks to toss, and I came across my notes from your philosophy class in spring 1998. I was reminded how your class made a huge difference in my life. You introduced me to goal setting and prioritizing, and wonderful books like the richest man in Babylon and 7 habits of highly effective people. You made us make a list of 100 goals to achieve in our lifetime and separate them out for 1, 5, and 10 years and beyond. I still have that notecard and I am still checking things off of my list! I have a husband, 4 children, do the books for our family run Harley-Davidson factory, and opened a children's consignment store (as well as homeschool our children)! Every day I meet people who ask me how I do it, and I have to say that I learned a lot about how to achieve things and live life effectively while in your classroom.
You never know the difference you will make in people's life - and I just thought you would want to know!
God bless you!
Kate (Vetter) Boyer