Thought of the Day 01.15.09

The other day, after Spencer had been very well-behaved in a store, I praised him for it as we were walking to the car. In response, he asked, “So, daddy, can I get a special surprise when we get home for being so good?”

Prepared for this response, I explained to him that I wanted him to be satisfied with the fact that I was pleased and to consider my praise as his reward. If he needed something else, that would mean he didn’t value my opinion very highly. I further explained that the single best way to show me he loves me is to obey me and behave well, as he had done in the store.

So now whenever he acts up, my first question to him is, “Spencer, do you love me?” Then my second question is, “And how do you show me that’s true?” I won’t tell you this has solved all our discipline problems, but it is inspiring to see my son begin to grasp the nature of having a right relationship with me, which will ultimately guide his right relationship with God.

No comments: