Thought of the Day 12.26.08

A conversation between a Christian and a modern man.

Modern man: It’s very narrow-minded of you to say your religion is better than someone else’s.
Christian: Why is that?
Modern man: Because you’re insulting and disrespecting his capacity to know things for himself.
Christian: So, saying I’m right and someone’s wrong is disrespectful?
Modern man: Precisely. And it’s a form of oppression since you’re just trying to dominate him into being just like you.
Christian: Oh, dear. That is serious. But you telling me that I’m wrong for telling him he’s wrong is actually a service that prevents me from being disrespectful and oppressive?
Modern man: Now you’re starting to see the light.
Christian: So anybody who tells anyone else they’re wrong is wrong, unless they’re you…
Modern man: Um….
Christian: Because, unlike me, you aren’t trying to coerce me into believing what you believe and you aren’t disrespecting my capacity to figure things out for myself…
Modern man: Um….
Christian: In other words, it’s okay to have a narrow-minded view of religion, just so long as it’s your narrow-minded view which holds that no religion is better than any other.
Modern man: Um…, I’ll have to get back to you on that.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Slick! Very wise way of presenting the issue at hand. :)