Thought of the Day 03.30.10

The other day, I was driving on Indian School Road when I happened to see a Muslim family walking past a storefront. The mother was wearing a Jilbab and Hijab (head scarf and loose-fitting robe), while the father and two young boys were wearing ordinary American attire, polo shirts and shorts. The mother was walking with one of the boys and they had their arms around each other in the universal demonstration of reciprocal love. All this was quite beautiful.

What I found horrific about the scene was the storefront they were passing, which happened to have a full-size painting of a pin-up girl on the wall. All I could think of at that moment was the terrible frustration for these parents, and especially this mother, having to daily expose their sons to a culture with such flagrant disregard to the moral-visual development of young boys.

I don’t endorse the Muslim view of women, but I certainly share their concern that sexual imagery is very dangerous to both women and men. And at that particular moment, I was embarrassed by a culture which claims to be Christian in its heritage.

1 comment:

Scott D. said...

In my experience, when presented with the fact that our country was founded on a rich Christian heritage, most people (including fellow Christians!) will either try to refute it stating that our founding fathers were mostly Free Masons, or they will disown that heritage by claiming it to be irrelevant to the nation as it exists today.

While I'm no historian, I have spoken on many occasions with a former member of my church who is a historian. He assures me that the vast majority of our founding fathers were born-again believers in Christ. Therefore, I am convinced that the first refutation above is not true.

What concerns me, however, is that the second claim may very well be true. All evidence around me suggests that Christ and the church are quickly becoming completely irrelevant to our culture and the lives of the vast majority of our citizens. God help us when that day comes.