Thought of the Day 09.28.09

Every night, we go for an hour-long family walk. Unfortunately, the first step in this process is ending our sons’ naps, which involves wailing and gnashing of teeth. Well, the other day, Spencer took his complaints to a new level, declaring adamantly, “I don’t want to go for a walk. I’m not going.”

So, I said, “That’s fine. But just so I’m clear on the new rule of this house, no one has to do anything we don’t want to do. Is that right?” “Yes. I like that rule.” So I told him, “Cool. I won’t be cooking you dinner since I don’t want to. And I won’t play games with you since it’s too much work.” This made him look sad.

Then my lovely assistant joined in, “And daddy won’t make models or rockets with you or take you to the park anymore.” It’s nice to have an accomplice. After a minute, I asked him, “So what’s it gonna be? Will we all do what we want to do, or will we all do what we are supposed to do?”

“Let’s do what we’re supposed to do, daddy. I’ll get ready for the walk.” He’s sharp for a five-year-old. Sometimes he just needs a little help to see the right answer.

No comments: