Thought of the Day 09.01.09

I used to know a guy who ran a very successful web design company, and the one thing I always remember him telling people over and over was a simple formula which has stuck with me for years. He’d tell them, “I can make you a website that’s excellent, I can make you a website fast, or I can make you a website inexpensively. Pick two.”

His fairly obvious meaning was that you couldn’t have all three, but any two could be arranged. Good and now at a high price. Good and later at a low price. Or bad now at a low price. And his implication was that if someone else told you he could deliver all three, he was lying.

This, in a nutshell, is my biggest concern with President Obama’s proposed health plan. He tells me it will give far more people far better health care at a far lower price, especially if we do it really fast right now. Since I know this to be a fantasy, I’m left to wonder which part of his offer won’t come true, and my concern is that the more “right now” the thing gets done, the more likely it is that’ll be the only part that will turn out to be true.

No comments: