TOD 01.25.08

I don’t know if you’ve heard about this yet, but one network is apparently developing a new show called High School, USA about an average American high school. Even though it’s going to be on in prime time, they’ve been given special permission by the FCC to show the kids swearing, smoking, using drugs, drinking at parties, and engaging in lewd discussions. Apparently, the episodes will feature gangs, academic cheating, and bullying.

Now, thankfully, they will also show students learning, making friends, and being mentored by adults who care about them. But, obviously, there won’t be any praying or religious activities of any kind. So, given all these known content issues, the question I’m wondering about is whether most parents will allow their teenage children to watch this show. I suppose many will.

But for those of you who wouldn’t, my other question is why would you let your kids attend a real igh school whose fictional counterpart you wouldn’t let them watch on TV? And, no, there is no such show in the works…it wouldn’t be decent enough to air.

1 comment:

Stan said...

I'm dying to hear your alternative thinking on what any good parent should do for their kids' education if they fall in the category of "I won't let them watch what the TV says is 'normal high school' stuff." (But, I suppose that's because I've recently been in a long discussion with some folks who claim that putting your kids in school is akin to child abuse.)